Wednesday, February 5, 2014

What a Difference a Day Makes

Yesterday I wrote a blog about my decision to take Ryan out of school. Well as this blog title implies what a deference 24 hours makes. This is a snow day today, mostly because it has been snowing since 10:00 pm yesterday evening and all the buses have been cancelled. Well as I was about to start making breakfast for Ryan and myself the phone rang and to my surprise it was the vice principal from Ryan's school. He had heard about my decision to take Ryan out of school and for the next 45 minutes tried everything he could think of to sway my decision to let him stay at school. I should explain that I could take him out legally because he is 19 years old, an adult even though he is Autistic. To make a long story short, he put forth some very good points, so as of tomorrow, depending how long this storm lasts, Ryan will be returning to school. I know this will make all who are close to me, family and friends very happy.So as the old saying goes, a girl has the right to change her mind. I should also say that today is my Dad's 10th anniversary since his passing, so I feel maybe he was guiding my hand in my decision. Love and miss you Dad.
Guess who's buses were cancelled today

My boy ready for school

4 comments:

  1. It's so hard being a parent, to know what will be the best for your child. Because even if he is an adult, he is still a child. And he will always be your baby. I hope he does well for the last part of his education. And I'm glad that you have done what feels right for the both of you. Lots of love to you and Ryan, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was making the right decision until this morning, but the vice principal made so much sense. I know the school really wants him to stay so only time will tell. Love back to you & your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parenting is full of crazy decisions. You know him best, but glad you were open to hearing other points of view. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mel. I'm glad to say he is now back at school and happy.

    ReplyDelete